Saturday, June 1, 2013

Owen's 3rd Birthday

Etsy orders are filled, Baby's curtains are sewn, and Brendon's at Patch Night --- which means I have time to blog.  I don't know that I'll ever catch up with all the posts that have gone unwritten this year, but I'll take a stab at it! 

I'll start with Owen's 3rd birthday---

You're all invited!
I made his invitations and quickly passed them out to friends before we left for DisneyLand. I really think invitations are the hardest part of a party. The date can really sneak up on you and all of a sudden your rushing to get them printed. I need to start putting a reminder on my calendar 2 months before the party just to get the invites ready! 





He's a huge fan of the mailman and was even more excited when the mailman brought him special boxes full of gifts! 

He was extremely impressed by all the toys!

Grandma and Grandpa sent him a Thomas the Train matching game. He loves it! He also likes to quiz me about train knowledge, colors and numbers.  


 Grammy and Poppa sent him lots of new sock monkey toys. The sprinkler was a big hit! 

 He played in the backyard all morning and only stopped to run to the front of the house and check out the construction trucks! 



His big gift from Mommy and Daddy was a trampoline! It's an 8 foot trampoline --- the perfect size for both our yard and our little guy. 
It's small, but complicated! All the guys worked together to get it set up. 

 Owen and Bryce are a great team! 


Owen woke up on the morning of his birthday and was ready to jump! He's been jumping on it everyday since then. 


While he was jumping, Brendon went to hold the pavilion at the park for our party. At first, we thought that sitting there to hold our spot may have been a wasted effort, but we lucked out on the "first come first serve" policy when another family came for their birthday party too.  Brendon scored big brownie points for securing the pavilion for us. It was a perfect location for all our guests. 

We've saved Owen's Halloween costume all year for this party. The poor guy was sick on Halloween, so he never even got to use the wagon! It made a perfect centerpiece at the party and was really convenient for hauling party supplies and gifts.  

This year, I decided to keep the party simple... but even a simple party can be fabulous! 

We had homemade cupcakes, a Subway sandwich tray, a snack train, and M&M favors for the kids. 


I made labels for all the snack train cars. 

Coal Car - Oreos
Animal Car - Animal Crackers
Log Car - Pretzel sticks
Garbage Car - Popcorn trail mix
Aquarium Car - Goldfish
Product Car - Grapes and Strawberries

I prepped everything the evening before and just had to pour them into the containers the day of the party.  



The favors were one of my favorite parts. I bought yellow scrapbook paper, followed these instructions and used my Silhouette to cut out Railroad Crossing designs from vinyl. The finished product was a huge hit with the kids! 


My cupcake tower from Target was given a makeover to match the party. I made the "Owen's 3rd Birthday Cloud" for the top and the yellow & black stripes for each layer. It really turned out cute and was perfect for transporting the cupcakes from home to the park. 

Owen loved the sprinkles and the train cupcake toppers. He's still talking about his James the Train cupcake! 




It wouldn't be a party if I didn't make water bottle wrappers! I love those things --- such a small thing with big impact. 

Do you get it? "Chug Chug Chug" :O) 

I also added "Chew Chew Chew" train wrappers for the utensils. 

 Owen was very impressed with his party! He still wears his #3 shirt and wants the bunting I made for the table to hang in his room! 


He was happy to run around in the splash pad - do kids even feel how cold water actually is?!? 


We were so happy that our friends were able to celebrate with us! 

At one time during the party, while looking at all our friends gathered around to celebrate our little guy, I couldn't believe that we've been so lucky to meet all our new Las Vegas friends. We'd only lived here for 8 months and one of my biggest fears when leaving Louisiana was that our little guy wouldn't meet new friends. We've been so blessed to not only meet people easily, but make friends that we really enjoy spending time with. 


 We were blown away by all the gifts he received--- He was in birthday party heaven for sure! 

As soon as he opened this Cars Color Changers set, he couldn't stop talking about it! He's watched a YouTube demo of the toy and immediately wanted to go home and play with it.  



The Thomas the Train Birthday Party printables are available for purchase in my ETSY shop! 

Follow this link to the listing:



8 comments:

  1. your parties are always great...and I can't believe he is already 3!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the train snack cars!! how did you make them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! I bought the white bins in the $1Spot at Target and made labels for them. I don't currently have them listed in my ETSY shop, but if you'd like the train labels (or any other printables from the party) I can create a custom order for you. Email me at SewInLoveBlog@gmail.com or through ETSY.

      https://www.etsy.com/listing/175202341/thomas-the-train-birthday-party-invite?ref=listing-2

      Delete
  3. I love all of your creative touches!!! Any tips on how to make the Thomas Wagon that was originally made for Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I took several photos as we were making the train wagon. I'll make a tutorial for you and post it within the next few days!

      Delete
    2. The tutorial is up! Let me know if you have any questions.


      http://sew-inlove.blogspot.com/2015/09/train-wagon-tips.html

      Delete
  4. Where did you get the popcorn trail mix or is there a receipe for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the Chewy S'mores Snack Mix from The Hungry Girl Cookbook and it's delicious! Here's a link to her recipe. Instead of using Cinnamon-Sugar cereal squares (aka Cinnamon Toast Crunch) I use Golden Grahams. It's really easy to make the day before the party and stays fresh if you store it in a covered bowl or gallon size Ziplock baggie.

      http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/movie-night-chewy-smores-snack-mix-recipe

      Delete